Medigap Plan C, also known as Medicare Supplement Plan C, is the second most comprehensive plan (after Medigap Plan F). It covers all Medicare ‘gaps’ with the exception of Medicare Part B Excess Charges.
Like all Medigap plans, Plan C is standardized, i.e. its benefits from one insurance company are the same in comparison to any other company. However, premiums may be very different.
Not all Medicare Supplement insurance companies offer Plan C. Some companies offer only one of the two most comprehensive Medigap plans: Plan F or Plan C.
Medicare Supplement Plan C benefits include:
- Hospital Costs: Medicare Part A coinsurance and 365 additional days after Medicare benefits end.
- Medical Expenses: Medicare Part B coinsurance (typically 20% of expenses that are Medicare approved) or copayment.
- Blood Coverage: The first 3 pints of blood per each calendar year.
- Hospice Care: Medicare Part A coinsurance/copayment.
- Skilled Nursing Medicare Part A coinsurance (20% that Medicare does not pay for nursing facilities).
- Medicare Part A Deductible (for 2016 the deductible is $1,288 for each benefit period).
- Medicare Part B Deductible (for 2016 the deductible is $166 per year).
- Foreign Travel Emergency (up to Plan Limit), consisting of Medicare coverage outside of the US.
Medicare Supplement Plan C benefits do NOT include:
- Medicare Part B Excess Charges, meaning charges from doctor’s that are above the Medicare approved amount. This cannot exceed 15% of what Medicare pays.
When Medigap Plan C is the right choice?
Medigap Plan C is identical to the Medigap Plan F, however, it does not include Medicare Part B excess charges. In states where Excess Charges are illegal (e.g., Pennsylvania and Ohio), there is no reason to buy the more expensive Plan F, because Medicare Supplement Plan C will suffice. Since 99% of doctors accept Medicare Assignments, the need to cover Excess Charges is very small even in States where they are allowed.
Use Medigap Plan C (if available) when you are looking to save money on Medigap Plan F by dropping its Extra Charge coverage.
Let Liberty Medicare Help you Choose
With the 10 Standardized Medicare Supplement plans made available, it certainly becomes a difficult task when selecting the right plan for you and your medical needs. Not all Medigap providers carry all of these plans, and the difference in premiums for the same type of plan among different vendors may be substantial.
Use the Liberty Medicare expertise to your advantage and seek out the Medigap plan that is best for your needs and budget. All our services are absolutely free to you! Learn more about all of the benefits of working with Liberty Medicare.
We represent many well-known Medicare Supplement providers and help people save money on Medicare in various states including:
- New Jersey
Get a free Medicare Supplement Insurance Quote, or call us at 877-657-7477. Our specialists are ready to answer your questions.