UPDATED Mar. 2, 2020. Original Medicare does not cover all of your medical expenses. Illinois Medigap plans, also known as Illinois Medicare Supplement plans, provide protection against Original Medicare out-of-pocket costs. The costs include deductibles, co-payments, coinsurances, and excess charges. Your Medicare health costs may be very significant without such plans.
Illinois Medicare Supplement Plans are sold by private insurance companies licensed in Illinois. Most Medigap rules are standard for all states (except Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Wisconsin). In particular, Standardized Medicare Supplement Plans define Medigap benefits for each of its plans that are universal regardless of what Medigap vendor is offering a specific Medicare Supplement plan.
Medigap premiums in Illinois are decided by the following factors:
- Zip code (and sometimes a county within the zip code)
- Whether or not you are a tobacco user.
Rates are usually higher in urban areas and lower in rural areas. Female rates are typically 10-15% lower than male rates in most Medigap Insurance companies. Some Illinois carriers add more benefits than is standard, such as the Vision Plan discount. Contact Liberty Medicare for more information.
Illinois Medicare Supplement Plans: State Medigap Regulations
Illinois law does not ban Medicare vendors from charging more than what Medicare allows. This difference is known as Extra Charges. Therefore, the Illinois Medigap Plans that do not cover Extra Charges (Medicare Supplement Plan C and Medicare Supplement Plan D) are less expensive than plans that include them (Medicare Supplement Plan F and Medicare Supplement Plan G).
The Federal Government has no requirements that would force Medigap carriers to sell Medicare policies to people under the age of 65 (Medicare due to disability). However, Illinois has added provisions that allow people under 65 to get Medicare Supplement. These requirements include:
- All plans are available for people enrolling during Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment
- Medigap plans A, B, C, D, F, G, K, or L are available for people entitled to Guaranteed Issue Rights. Plans F and C are for people having Medicare before Jan. 1, 2020. Plans G and D are for people NEW to Medicare having it after Jan. 1, 2020.
Most Illinois Medicare Supplement vendors offer all Medigap plans for people ages 40-64. For most companies, the cost is typically about twice of the plan cost for people who are 65 years old.
Some states have additional Guaranteed Issue Periods (in addition to the standard Guaranteed Issue Rights), such as 30-days birthday period. Illinois does not have such periods. Illinois does permit a household discount to be applied to Medicare Supplement plans, and several Medigap vendors offer this discount.
Illinois Department of Aging
Liberty Medicare list of Illinois Medicare Supplement (Medigap) carriers
Illinois Medicare Supplement providers represented by Liberty Medicare offer a variety of Medicare Supplement plans. Some providers sell all available Standardized plans. Vendors’ premiums for Illinois Medigap plans vary widely. Contact Liberty Medicare for assistance in selecting your Medigap plan.
- Bankers Fidelity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois
- Cigna Medicare Supplement (CHLIC, ARLIC)
- Combined Insurance
- Great Southern Life
- Guarantee Trust Life
- Heartland National
- Individual Assurance Company (IAC)
- Medico® Insurance Company
- Mutual of Omaha / United World
- New Era (New Era of the Midwest, Philadelphia American Life)
- Sentinel Security Life
- Thrivent Financial
- Transamerica Life Insurance Company
- Union Security Insurance Company (USIC)
- Western United Life Insurance
Let Liberty Medicare Help you to Choose one of the Illinois Medigap Plans
Liberty Medicare is here to help you through the entire process of selecting and enrolling in the best, most suitable Illinois Medigap Plan for you.
All of our many services are offered to you at no cost. We’ll help you:
- Find all available plans and compare their benefits
- Determine your eligibility (particularly if medical underwriting is required)
- Find the least expensive Medigap plan and enroll into it
Learn more about all the benefits of working with Liberty Medicare.
If you are looking for Medicare Supplement coverage, let us guide you. To view real quotes from Illinois Medigap plan vendors, please fill out our Medicare Supplement Quote form, or give us a call at 877-657-7477.