UPDATED May 18, 2019. New Jersey Medigap Plans, also known as Medicare Supplement Plans, provide protection against Original Medicare out-of-pocket costs, such as deductibles, copayments/coinsurances, and excess charges. Without Medigap plans your Medicare health costs could be excessively high.
New Jersey Medicare Supplement Plans are sold by private insurance companies licensed in New Jersey. Most of Medigap regulations are shared by all US states (except Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Wisconsin). In particular, Standardized Medicare Supplement Plans in New Jersey layout sets of plans and benefits specific to each plan. These benefits are the same in all states, for all Medigap vendors that offer that particular plan.
Here is the list of the significant common benefits of Medicare Supplement Plans:
- There is no network for Medigap Plans in NJ
- All New Jersey Medigap Plans are guaranteed renewable
- Medicare Supplement benefits are paid by Medigap vendors after Medicare has paid its share of the bill
- New Jersey Medigap Plans provide extra benefits that are not a part of Original Medicare
Medicare Supplement premiums in New Jersey are established using the following factors:
- Zip code (and sometimes a County within the zip code)
- Whether or not you are a tobacco user.
Rates usually are higher in urban areas and lower in rural areas. Female rates are typically lower than male rates by 10-15%. Some New Jersey carriers add extra benefits outside of the standard benefits, such as the Vision Plan discount. Contact Liberty Medicare for more information.
New Jersey Medicare Supplement Plans: Specific Regulations
The New Jersey law allows Medicare providers to charge more than what Medicare allows. This difference is known as Extra Charges. Medigap Plans in NJ that do not include Extra Charges (Medicare Supplement Plan C and Medicare Supplement Plan D) are less expensive than plans that contain them (Medicare Supplement Plan F and Medicare Supplement Plan G).
There are no Federal Government requirements forcing Medigap carriers to sell Medicare policies to people under the age of 65 (Medicare due to disability). However, New Jersey has added conditions that allow people under 65 to get Medicare Supplement. The conditions are:
- Medigap Plan C is available for people age 50-64 enrolling at the Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period
- Medigap Plan C is available for people age 50-64 entitled to Guaranteed Issue Rights
Most New Jersey Medicare Supplement providers offer Medicare Supplement Plan C for people age 40-64. The cost is typically equal to that for individuals who are 65 years old, but for some companies, it is significantly higher.
Besides the standard Guaranteed Issue Rights, some states have additional unique Guaranteed Issue windows, such as 30-day birthday period. New Jersey is not one of them. A household discount is allowed to be applied to Medigap policies in New Jersey, and several Medicare Supplement vendors present the discount to their clients.
New Jersey Insurance Department
Liberty Medicare list of New Jersey Medicare Supplement carriers
New Jersey Medicare Supplement providers represented by Liberty Medicare offer many types of Medigap plans. Some of them sell all standardized plans, others – just some of them. Vendors’ premiums for Medigap plans in New Jersey are varied – contact Liberty Medicare for help with selecting your Medicare Supplement plan.
- Cigna Medicare Supplement (CHLIC)
- Guarantee Trust Life
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Omaha Insurance Company
- New Era (Philadelphia American Life)
- Thrivent Financial
- Transamerica Life Insurance Company
- Union Security Insurance Company (USIC)
- Western United Life Insurance
Let Liberty Medicare Help you to Choose one of the New Jersey Medigap Plans
Liberty Medicare is here to help you in all aspects of selecting and enrolling in the top New Jersey Medigap Plan that’s best for you.
All of our many services are offered to you at no cost. We’ll help you:
- Find all available plans and compare their benefits
- Determine your eligibility (particularly if medical underwriting is required)
- Find the least expensive Medigap plan and enroll into it
Learn more about all the benefits of working with Liberty Medicare.
If you are looking for Medicare Supplement coverage, let us guide you. To view real quotes from providers of Medigap plans in New Jersey, please fill out our Medicare Supplement Quote form, or give us a call at 877-657-7477.