UPDATED May 18, 2019. Pennsylvania Medigap Plans, also known as Medicare Supplement plans, provide protection against Original Medicare out-of-pocket costs. Costs include deductibles, co-payments, coinsurances, and excess charges. Without such plans, your Medicare health costs may be staggering.
Pennsylvania Medicare Supplement Plans are sold by private insurance companies licensed in Pennsylvania. Most Medigap rules and regulations are standard in all states. The exceptions are Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. In particular, Standardized Medicare Supplement Plans in PA define benefits universal in all states for all vendors that offer a specific Medigap plan.
Here is the list of the major common benefits of Medicare Supplement Plans:
- There is no network for Pennsylvania Medigap Plans
- All Medicare Supplement plans are guaranteed renewable
- Medicare Supplement benefits are paid by Medigap vendors after Medicare has paid its share of the bill
- Medicare Supplement Plans in PA provide extra benefits that are not a part of Original Medicare
Premiums for Medicare Supplement Plans in PA are determined by the following factors:
- Zip code (and sometimes a county within the zip code)
- Whether or not you are a tobacco user.
Rates are usually higher in urban areas and lower in rural areas. For most Medigap insurance companies, female rates are 10-15% lower than male rates. Some Pennsylvania carriers add extra benefits outside of the standard benefits. Examples are the Silver Sneakers health program and the Vision Plan discount. Contact Liberty Medicare for more information.
Pennsylvania Medicare Supplement Plans: Specific Medigap Regulations
Pennsylvania law prohibits Medicare providers to charge more than what Medicare allows. This difference is known as Extra Charges. In other words, Extra Charges are illegal in Pennsylvania. Therefore, the less expensive Medicare Supplement Plans in PA that do not include Extra Charges, such as Medicare Supplement Plan C and Medicare Supplement Plan D are identical to the more expensive plans that include Extra Charges, such as Medicare Supplement Plan F and Medicare Supplement Plan G.
The Federal Government has no requirements that would force Medigap carriers to sell Medicare policies to people under the age of 65. However, Pennsylvania has added provisions that allow people under 65 to get Medicare Supplement. These requirements include:
- All plans are available for people enrolling during the Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment
- Medigap plans A, B, C and F are available for people entitled to Guaranteed Issue Rights
Most Pennsylvania Medicare Supplement vendors offer all Medigap plans for people ages 40-64. For most companies, the cost is typically the same as for people who are 65 years old, although for some companies it is substantially higher.
In addition to the standard Guaranteed Issue Rights, some states have additional special Guaranteed Issue Periods, such as 30-day birthday period. Pennsylvania does not have such periods. Pennsylvania does permit a household discount to be applied to Medigap policies, and several Medicare Supplement providers offer this discount.
Pennsylvania Insurance Department
Liberty Medicare list of Pennsylvania Medicare Supplement carriers
Pennsylvania Medicare Supplement providers represented by Liberty Medicare offer a variety of Medigap plans. Some vendors sell all the available Standardized plans. The range of vendors’ premiums for Medicare Supplement plans in Pennsylvania is quite broad. Contact Liberty Medicare for help with selecting your Medigap plan.
- Capital Blue Cross
- Central States Indemnity (CSI Life)
- Cigna Medicare Supplement (CHLIC, ARLIC)
- Combined Insurance
- Equitable Life
- Great Southern Life
- Guarantee Trust Life
- Independence Blue Cross
- Manhattan Life
- Medico® Corp Life Insurance Company
- Mutual of Omaha
- New Era (New Era of the Midwest, Philadelphia American Life)
- Thrivent Financial
- Transamerica Life Insurance Company
- Union Security Insurance Company (USIC)
- Western United Life Insurance
Let Liberty Medicare Help you to Choose one of Pennsylvania Medigap Plans
Liberty Medicare is here to help you in all stages of comparing, selecting and enrolling in the best and most suitable Pennsylvania Medigap Plan for you.
All of our services are offered to you at no cost. We’ll help you:
- Find all available to you plans and compare their benefits
- Determine your eligibility (particularly if medical underwriting is required)
- Find the least expensive Medigap plan and enroll into it
Learn more about all the benefits of working with Liberty Medicare.
If you are looking for Medicare Supplement coverage, let us guide you. To view real quotes from providers of Medicare Supplement plans in Pennsylvania, please fill out our Medicare Supplement Quote form, or give us a call at 877-657-7477.