UPDATED Mar. 2, 2020. Original Medicare does not cover all of your medical expenses. Maryland Medigap plans, also known as Maryland Medicare Supplement plans, provide protection against Original Medicare out-of-pocket costs. The costs include deductibles, co-payments, coinsurances, and excess charges. Your Medicare health costs may be very significant without such plans.
Maryland Medicare Supplement Plans are sold by private insurance companies licensed in Maryland. Most Medigap rules are standard for all states (except for Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Wisconsin). In particular, Standardized Medicare Supplement Plans define Medigap benefits for each of its plans that are universal regardless of what Medigap vendor is offering a specific Medicare Supplement plan.
Medigap premiums in Maryland are decided by the following factors:
- Zip code (and sometimes a county within the zip code)
- Whether or not you are a tobacco user.
Rates are usually higher in urban areas and lower in rural areas. Female rates are typically 10-15% lower than male rates in most Medigap Insurance companies. Some Maryland carriers add more benefits than is standard, such as the Vision Plan discount. Contact Liberty Medicare for more information.
Maryland Medicare Supplement Plans: State Medigap Regulations
Maryland law does not ban Medicare vendors from charging more than what Medicare allows. This difference is known as Extra Charges. Therefore, the Maryland Medigap Plans that do not cover Extra Charges (Medicare Supplement Plan C and Medicare Supplement Plan D) are less expensive than plans that include them (Medicare Supplement Plan F and Medicare Supplement Plan G).
The Federal Government has no requirements that would force Medigap carriers to sell Medicare policies to people under the age of 65 (Medicare due to disability). However, Maryland has added requirements that allow people under 65 to get Medicare Supplement. These requirements include:
- Medigap plans A and C are available for people enrolling during Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment
- Medigap plans A, B, C, D, F, G, K, or L are available for people entitled to Guaranteed Issue Rights. Plans F and C are for people having Medicare before Jan. 1, 2020. Plans G and D are for people NEW to Medicare having it after Jan. 1, 2020.
For most companies, the cost is typically 10% more than the corresponding plan for people who are 65 years old.
Some states have additional special Guaranteed Issue Periods (in addition to the standard Guaranteed Issue Rights), such as 30-days birthday period. Maryland does not have such periods. Maryland does permit a household discount to be applied to Medicare Supplement plans, and several Medigap vendors offer this discount.
Maryland Insurance Department
Liberty Medicare list of Maryland Medicare Supplement (Medigap) carriers
Maryland Medicare Supplement providers represented by Liberty Medicare offer a variety of Medicare Supplement plans. Some providers sell all available Standardized plans. Vendors’ premiums for Maryland Medigap plans vary widely. Contact Liberty Medicare for assistance in selecting your Medigap plan.
- Care First
- Cigna Medicare Supplement (CHLIC, ARLIC)
- Great Southern Life
- Guarantee Trust Life
- Individual Assurance Company (IAC)
- Medico® Corp Life Insurance Company
- United of Omaha
- Thrivent Financial
- Transamerica Life Insurance Company
- Union Security Insurance Company (USIC)
- Western United Life Insurance
Let Liberty Medicare Help you to Choose one of the Maryland Medigap Plans
Liberty Medicare is here to help you through the entire process of selecting and enrolling in the best, most suitable Maryland Medigap Plan for you.
All of our many services are offered to you at no cost. We’ll help you:
- Find all available plans and compare their benefits
- Determine your eligibility (particularly if medical underwriting is required)
- Find the least expensive Medigap plan and enroll into it
Learn more about all the benefits of working with Liberty Medicare.
If you are looking for Medicare Supplement coverage, let us guide you. To view real quotes from Illinois Medigap plan vendors, please fill out our Medicare Supplement Quote form, or give us a call at 877-657-7477.